Meet Debbie Emick, co-creator and blogger at gobucketyourself.com, the co-host of the "One Life. Live It!", and author of The Other Side Of Perfect: Discovering the Mind- Body Connection to Healing Chronic Illness. She’s also a survivor of multiple chronic illnesses/autoimmune diseases.
In this episode of the Awake and Thriving Podcast, Andria speaks with Debbie about her journey with chronic illnesses and the path she took to find healing by accessing her mind-body connection. She explains how she worked through her internal responses to heal her physical body and by incorporating both Western and Holistic medicine.
Listen in to learn why it is important for doctors to focus on their patient’s mental health as much as they do their physical health. You will also learn why you should first focus on your internal health rather than putting too much importance on a diagnosis.
“Until I really dealt with my own internal response distress, it didn’t matter how much stress I eliminated because I would just find something else to stress about.”- Debbie [34:01]
What you will learn:
• [1:11] Debbie talks about her struggles with autoimmune diseases before she found the benefits of mental and emotional health.
• [7:16] How she figured out her allergies and intolerance by experimenting and seeking professional help.
• [10:33] How Debbie’s chiropractor identifies herself with a familiar term to relate to her patients.
• [16:41] She explains the physical and emotional health practices she does, plus her self-care routine.
• [18:32] Why she has switched most of her supplements with what she’s sure she needs plus healthy oils.
• [21:32] Why doctors should combine treating both physical and mental health for the benefits of their patients.
• [28:00] Understanding why you don’t need a diagnosis and should seek to first heal your internal self.
• [29:21] Debbie answers some funs questions.
• [32:19] She describes how she dealt with her internal response to stress to be mentally healthy.
• [37:43] Learning how to detach from things you identify with and instead find the real you.
• The Body Keeps the Score Bessel van der Kolk
• When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress by Gabor Maté
• Expressive Writing: Words that Heal
Author, The Other Side of Perfect: Discovering the Mind-Body Connection to Healing Chronic Illness
Get your copy of the book and claim your FREE companion journal
Check out our podcast, One Life. Live It!
Find me on Instagram @imperfectprogress.me